Saturday, 19 November 2016

Facial training with Dermalogica



My facial training for beauty therapy happened last week. It was very exciting as I'm all about skincare and learning new things, and I needed to know about everything as we've started facials in the salon at college. We were incredibly lucky to have Dermalogica themselves come into the salon and let us complete our training as part of the Dermalogica skin treatment programme.

The first thing we were introduced is about Dermalogica as a brand in itself and what they look for within their products. They believe that our skin health is super important, therefore we should be taking more time out to look after it. I myself, didn't realise how harsh some chemicals were to your skin, and how important double cleansing is, but I'll talk about that later. They believe that every skin type/condition is able to have a full benefit with the same results attired to their needs. Most of their products are tailored for specific skin types and each product does it's job at improving the skin.

Something I was fairly familiar with as we do this already in the salon, is consultation sheets. This is something that allows the therapist (me) to get to know the client a bit more and find out what their needs are, and what their current skincare routine already is. I love filling in consultation sheets because it builds a good understanding of the client, and also it's so much fun to fill in. Within Dermalogica consultation, you have to include face mapping, and a prescription sheet which allows the client to go home and find the products which the therapist has recommended for them.

We then went on to face mapping the skin and labeling the areas. All together there are around 14 zones on your face which probably sounds like a lot, but it's pretty straight forward. A lot of this I already knew through previous revision, however it was nice to re cap. If you're unfamiliar on the 14 zones on your face, you can look here. I found it the most interesting because I never really knew about this before I started studying beauty therapy and it's a huge eye opener. It was so fun to learn what zones get affected by what and you can instantly find why you're getting spots in a specific area. After face mapping, we then decided which products would be suitable for ourselves and our skin type. I have Combination skin which is where you are oily in the T-zone, but fairly dry on the cheek area, so I have to make sure that I'm using the products which are going to benefit my skin.

The last thing we got to do, was try out all of the products and see what each of them do. My personal favourite was trying the moisturizers on my skin because they felt super nourishing. In total, we got to try a cleanser, exfoliater, toner, eye creams and moisturizer. We then chose which one was our favourite from each and then wrote down which one we chose. We had to choose something that was the best fit for our skin and then write it on the prescription sheet. It was so much fun learning more about your own skin, and realising that it's so important to look after it just as much as everything else. I now take extra care when doing my skincare routine, and have even considered purchasing some of Dermalogica's products as I was so pleased with the results and how well they really work. After this, we were followed by a full demo of a facial. This was particularly helpful because we were able to see how it's properly done and what sorts of things we could be doing to improve our current routine.

Overall, I loved the training day and I learnt so much. Having Dermalogica come in personally makes it that little bit better and it was definitely a day to remember. I highly recommend that any of you go out and try some of Dermalogica products because you will not regret it.

Kay xx

Post a Comment

© Kayleigh Williams. Design by Fearne.